Sunday, April 10, 2016

Z-Minus

So I got a message via Goodreads:

Hi Bazi,

I saw your review of The First Days by Rhiannon Frater on Goodreads and thought you might be interested in a novel I read recently that is in a similar genre.

It's called Z-Minus, by a writer called Perrin Briar. [blah blah blah filler filler filler blah blah blah] 

Thank you for your time.
Dewi

Since I read the message before I drank any coffee, my morning sarcasm kicked in and I thought many things along the lines "Bot spam," but looks like the book was legit, so I picked it up and made some coffee.

The start of the book reads like a disaster movie- blurbs from experts, social media excerpts, etc. After we get past that, we're introduced to Chris.

Chris is pretty oblivious to the start of the zombie apocalypse until he runs into a neighbor who fills him in and gives him a copy of his "bible"- World War Z.

Not only is Chris oblivious to what's going on around him, he shuns the remaining living member of his family because he's not sure if he got infected while he was at home. Chris agrees to take his daughter, Maisie, to her aunt's house. The aunt isn't around, so Chris reasons Maisie needs to be with her grandmother and the best way to do that at the start of an apocalypse is to commit grand theft auto.

Grand theft auto is followed by random road stupidity, revelations and idiots dying zombie.

And then more blurbs.

After reading the book, it took me a really good chunk of time to think about what I was going to say because it was a struggle to finish the book and not say screw it and delete it from my Kindle. Quite frankly, it reads like a B movie script and to know it continues for another two books is pretty #$%@& painful and there's no way in hell I'll be reading them.

No comments:

Post a Comment